This BREF covers installations for the incineration of hazardous and municipal waste. Although incineration provides the main focus of this BREF, three main thermal treatment techniques are also described in general, as they relate to some common waste streams. These are:
In addition to the thermal treatment stage of the installation, this BREF also covers:
• the reception, handling and storage of waste
• the effect of waste pretreatment on the selection and operation of waste incineration processes (in some cases, this includes a description of the techniques applied)
• applied flue-gas treatment techniques
• applied residue treatment techniques (for the main residues commonly produced)
• applied waste water treatment techniques
• some aspects of energy recovery, the performance achieved and the techniques used. Details of electrical generation equipment, etc. are not included.
Other types of waste treatments can be found in the BREF Waste Treatments Industries BREF.
Due to the provisions of Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Community institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data, personal contact details of Technical Working Group members have been removed from this website.