The European IPPC Bureau engages in international capacity building and knowledge transfer. For more than two decades, the Bureau has been exchanging its experience with intergovernmental organisations and countries outside of the European Union. The Bureau collaborates in particular with the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), which has been managing since 2016 a project on Best Available Techniques to prevent industrial pollution. The project has led to publications in four work streams:
- Policies on BAT or similar concepts across the world (2017)
- Approaches to establishing BAT around the world (2018)
- Measuring the effectiveness of BAT policies (2019)
- Guidance on determining BAT, BAT-associated environmental performance levels and BAT-based permit conditions (2020)
- Value chain approaches to determining Best Available Techniques (BAT) for industrial installations (2022)
- Cross Country analysis of BAT and BAT-associated emission and environmental performance levels in the Thermal Power Plants, Cement and Textile industries (2022)
To date, several countries have implemented BAT-based policies. The European Commission translated selected BAT conclusions to Arabic, Chinese, and Russian. The map below provides an overview of all past and present international collaborations of the European IPPC Bureau.